|Black Bean Sweet Potato Bites|
- Sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- optional: dash of chili powder or cayenne pepper
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potatoes approximately 1/2 inch thick, and place in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until the bottoms are browned.
- While the potatoes are baking, simmer the can of black beans over the stove. Add the cumin to the black beans and a little salt. If you like your beans with a kick, add a dash of cayenne or chili powder. Simmer for approx 10-15, until the liquid has boiled off.
- Now that the sweet potatoes are done in the oven, add a scoop of black beans on top of the round. Add some crumbed cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
- If you want your appetizers more bite sized, choose a narrower potato as those are the base.
- Instead of cumin and chili powder, you could always add your favorite Mexican spice mix to the beans (like Mrs. Dash's chipotle mix).
|healthy Thanksgiving appetizer|
Linking up with these fabulous link parties: The Scoop!, Inspire Me Tuesday,Wow us Wednesdays! Centerpiece Wednesdays, Creative Ways, Home Sweet Home , Feathered Nest Fridays, Foodie Friday
Written at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com