Our Basic Pizza Crust Recipe
- 2 cups of regular flour (but if you want the best, use the 00 flour)
- 1 cup of fine corn meal
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons honey, optional
- Heat the water to lukewarm. Then add the olive oil. (for really yummy dough, add the 2 tbsp honey here)
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Using your bread kneader mixing option on your mixer (we use the option on the kitchenaid), pour the yeast solution into the mixer and mix for 5 minutes.
- Now, add all of the dry ingredients to the mixer. Mix on low until it forms a ball. If it does not form a ball, you need to add more flour or cornmeal.
- Once it has formed a ball, knead on low speed for 20 minutes. I know this seems unnecessary, but it is the most critical part!
- After, cover and let the dough sit in a warm, dry place for 1 hour. This allows the dough to rise. If you want to make your dough ahead of time, place the dough in the fridge overnight and take it out 1 hour before cooking time.
- Spread the dough into desired shape. This dough makes enough for two 10" pizzas, so we separate the dough into two. This makes the shaping of the circular pizza dough a little easier!
Now choose your toppings!
- zucchini, thinly sliced
- yellow squash, thinly sliced
- mushrooms, sliced
- tomatoes, sliced (my tomatoes weren't ripe yet)
- fresh basil
- Whatever other vegetable you want to put on... olives, onions, peppers. Or if you want to be less healthy... add some pepperoni or sausage.
- Pizza sauce (I like Trader Joe's)
- Mozzarella cheese, pre-shredded is easier to use.
- Preheat oven to 500F, best cooked with a pizza stone.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the pizza
- Sprinkle mozzarella (as much as desired)
- Place all your ingredients on the pizza, except the basil.
- If you use a pizza peel (as I do), sprinkle coarse cornmeal on the bottom so the pizza will easily slide off the peel onto your stone. This is a nice trick.
- Place in oven and cook for 8-12 minutes, until it looks done.
- Immediately after you take the pizza out of the oven, sprinkle the basil on top.
|homemade vegetable pizza|
Written at http://peoniesandorangeblossoms.blogspot.com
Linking up with these fabulous link parties:G'day Saturdays,